UTSA takes seventh place at this weekend's H-E-B Tournament of Champions
CORPUS CHRISTI — UTSA battled back from a pair of setbacks on Friday to edge DePaul, 4-3, on Saturday in the seventh-place match of the 48th Annual H-E-B Tournament of Champions.
Playing a tournament-style format with singles matches first, the Roadrunners (4-9) claimed victories at the top three positions. Yannick Junger swept Filip Dzanko, 6-3, 6-3, at No. 1, Tomas Stilman posted a 7-5, 6-1 victory at the second spot and Joel Rubio outlasted Sten Leusink, 7-5, 3-6, 6-4, on the third court.
The Blue Demons (2-8) won at the other three spots to send the contest to doubles competition with the score knotted at three.
DePaul pulled off an upset at No. 1, as Dzanko and David Vieyra handed UTSA's No. 27-ranked tandem of Rubio and Stilman their first loss of the season with an 8-5 decision. However, Junger and Boburjon Kamiljanov teamed up to beat Leusink and Kyle Johnson at No. 2, 8-7 (7-5). Fabian Brand and Diogo Casa also went to a tiebreaker on the third court and they edged Joshua Schramm and Tim Corwin, 8-7 (7-5) to clich the victory.
UTSA opened the two-day tournament with a 4-1 loss to Conference USA rival Tulane in a dual-match format on Friday. The Roadrunners grabbed the doubles point with wins by Stillman and Rubio at No. 1 and Casa and Brand at No. 3. However, the Green Wave clinched the match with winning decisions at Nos. 1, 2, 5 and 6.
That dropped the Roadrunners into a matchup with Western Michigan on Friday afternoon.
With singles playing first, Stillman downed Ruben Greiner, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 2, Rubio beat Andrew Cahn at No. 3, 7-5, 3-6, 6-1, and Casa scored a 6-2, 6-3 victory against Jimmy Beckwith at No. 4. WMU's wins at the other three spots sent the contest to doubles.
Rubio and Stillman won their 10th consecutive outing with an 8-6 decision against Stephen Payne and Nadin Indre at the top spot, but the Broncos won on the other two courts to clinch the match, 4-3.
The Roadrunners will return to action next Friday, March 7, when they travel to the Metroplex to face former Southland and Western Athletic Conference rival UT Arlington (3-6) at 3 p.m.
UTSA 4, DePaul 3
1. Dzanko/Vieyra (DU) def. #27 Rubio/Stillman (UTSA) 8-5
2. Junger/Kamiljanov (UTSA) def. Johnson/Leusink (DU) 8-7 (7-5)
3. Brand/Casa (UTSA) def. Corwin/Schramm (DU) 8-7 (7-5)
1. Yannick Junger (UTSA) def. Filip Dzanko (DU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Tomas Stillman (UTSA) def. David Vieyra (DU) 7-5, 6-1
3. Joel Rubio (UTSA) def. Sten Leusink (DU) 7-5, 3-6, 6-4
4. Joshua Schramm (DU) def. Diogo Casa (UTSA) 2-6, 6-1, 6-4
5. Kyle Johnson (DU) def. Harley Pearson (UTSA) 6-3, 6-1
6. Tim Corwin (DU) def. Boburjon Kamiljanov (UTSA) 7-5, 6-4
Western Michigan 4, UTSA 3
1. #27 Rubio/Stillman (UTSA) def. Indre/Payne (WMU) 8-6
2. Beckwith/Greiner (WMU) def. Junger/Kamiljanov (UTSA) 8-2
3. Hamilton/Treis (WMU) def. Brand/Casa (UTSA) 8-5
1. Nadin Indre (WMU) def. Yannick Junger (UTSA) 6-4, 6-3
2. Tomas Stillman (UTSA) def. Ruben Greiner (WMU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Joel Rubio (UTSA) def. Andrew Cahn (WMU) 7-5, 3-6, 6-1
4. Diogo Casa (UTSA) def. Jimmy Beckwith (WMU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Matt Hamilton (WMU) def. Harley Pearson (UTSA) 6-3, 6-4
6. Pablo Mora (WMU) def. Boburjon Kamiljanov (UTSA) 6-4, 1-6, 7-5
Tulane 4, UTSA 1
1. #27 Rubio/Stillman (UTSA) def. Chi-Shan/Koepfer (TU) 8-7 (7-4)
2. Rey/A.Van Cott (TU) def. Junger/Kamiljanov (UTSA) 8-7 (8-6)
3. Brand/Casa (UTSA) def. Ohashi/I.Van Cott (TU) 8-4
1. Dominik Koepfer (TU) def. Yannick Junger (UTSA) 6-0, 6-4
2. Sebastian Rey (TU) def. Joel Rubio (UTSA) 7-5, 6-3
3. Tomas Stillman (UTSA) vs. Jao Chi-Shan (TU) 6-4, 5-4, unfinished
4. Diogo Casa (UTSA) vs. Takuma Ohashi (TU) 5-7, 7-5, unfinished
5. Ian Van Cott (TU) def. Harley Pearson (UTSA) 6-2, 6-4
6. Alex Van Cott (TU) def. Boburjon Kamiljanov (UTSA) 6-3, 4-6, 7-5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,5,2,6)