WILLIAMSBURG, Va. — Tomas Stillman posted victories in singles and doubles, but William & Mary sent the UTSA men's tennis team to its fourth consecutive loss with a 6-1 decision on Sunday morning at McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center.
Stillman swept Scott Huang at No. 4 singles, 6-3, 6-2, to run his record to 8-1 on the season. It marked the seventh straight singles win for the junior transfer from Harlingen by way of Toledo.
Stillman teamed up with Joel Rubio for an 8-4 victory at the top doubles spot, keeping the No. 16-ranked duo undefeated at 8-0 on the year.
Those were the only two victories for the Roadrunners (3-7), as the Tribe (8-6) grabbed an early 1-0 lead by taking the other two doubles matches, both by 8-3 counts.
In singles, William & Mary posted straight-set wins on five courts, including the clinching contest at No. 5 by Damon Niquet over Kolby Kilgo, 6-2, 6-1.
The Roadrunners will hit the court again next weekend when they travel to Corpus Christi for the H-E-B Tournament of Champions (opponents and match dates/times TBA).
William & Mary 6, UTSA 1
1. #16 Rubio/Stillman (UTSA) def. Chaffee/Juggins (WMU) 8-4
2. Appleby/Guthrie (WMU) def. Junger/Kamiljanov (UTSA) 8-3
3. Banks/Hoogland (WMU) def. Brand/Casa (UTSA) 8-3
1. Ben Guthrie (WMU) def. Yannick Junger (UTSA) 6-2, 7-6 (7-3)
2. Ben Hoogland (WMU) def. Joel Rubio (UTSA) 6-3, 6-2
3. Will Juggins (WMU) def. Diogo Casa (UTSA) 6-3, 6-2
4. Tomas Stillman (UTSA) def. Scott Huang (WMU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Damon Niquet (WMU) def. Kolby Kilgo (UTSA) 6-2, 6-1
6. John Banks (WMU) def. Boburjon Kamiljanov (UTSA) 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,2,5,4,6,1)