SMU downs UTSA on Friday afternoon, 5-2
DALLAS — Diogo Casa upset a nationally-ranked opponent in the top singles match, but it was not enough, as UTSA dropped a 5-2 decison at SMU on Friday afternoon at Bent Tree Country Club.
Casa, a sophomore who hails from Pelotas, Brazil, downed No. 73 Arturs Kazijevs at No. 1 singles by a 6-5, 6-2 count to pick up his first victory of the young season. He was joined in the win column by junior Joel Rubio, who outlasted Nate Lammons at No. 3, 6-2, 3-6, 6-5 (7-3), to run his record to 2-1 on the year.
Casa teamed up with Fabian Brand to score a 6-3 win on court three to provide the Roadrunners' (0-3) lone doubles win. However, SMU (3-2) grabbed the doubles point with victories in the other two matches to take a 1-0 lead into singles.
There, the Mustangs posted four wins, including a narrow 6-5 (7-4), 3-6, 16-14 win by Alex Sanders over Yannick Junger at No. 2, to clinch the match.
The Roadrunners will open their home slate against St. Edward's (10 a.m.) and Trinity (2 p.m.) next Saturday, Feb. 8, at the UTSA Tennis Center.
SMU 5, UTSA 2
1. Kazijevs/Nowicki (SMU) def. Kamiljanov/Rubio (UTSA) 6-3
2. Lammons/Sanders (SMU) def. Kilgo/Junger (UTSA) 6-2
3. Casa/Brand (UTSA) def. Russell/Slobodkins (SMU) 6-3
1. Diogo Casa (UTSA) def. #73 Arturs Kazijevs (SMU) 6-5 (7-3), 6-2
2. Alex Sanders (SMU) def. Yannick Junger (UTSA) 6-5 (7-4), 3-6, 16-14
3. Joel Rubio (UTSA) def. Nate Lammons (SMU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-5 (7-3)
4. Mischa Nowicki (SMU) def. Kolby Kilgo (UTSA) 6-2, 6-3
5. Arkidjas Slobodkins (SMU) def. Eric Buchalter (UTSA) 6-2, 6-0
6. Julio Olaya (SMU) def. Boburjon Kamiljanov (UTSA) 6-3, 6-2