Denver rallies to knock off UTSA on Sunday, 4-3
SAN ANTONIO — Denver rallied from an early 2-0 deficit and the Pioneers knocked off UTSA by score of 4-3 on Sunday at the UTSA Tennis Center.
The Roadrunners (11-10, 2-1 WAC) and Pioneers (8-11, 4-0 WAC) were tied at three before Henry Craig outlasted Tyler Brown at the fourth singles position to clinch the contest.
UTSA jumped out to its 2-0 lead after winning the top two flights of doubles competition and David Kelleher's straight-sets triumph at the No. 5 singles spot.
However, Denver responded by winning three consecutive straight-sets victories at the Nos. 1, 2 and 6 positions to take a 3-2 lead.
The Birds pulled even when Joel Rubio held off Max Krammer in a three-set thriller at the third spot.
Craig won the first set against Brown, but the Roadrunners senior tied the match up with a 6-2 decision in the second frame. However, Craig allowed the Pioneers to remain unbeaten in league play by winning the final stanza, 6-3.
UTSA will hit the road for its final two matches of the regular season next weekend. The Roadrunners will start the road trip on Friday, April 19, with a meeting at No. 72 Idaho (20-5, 4-0 WAC).
Denver 4, UTSA 3
1. Ayala/Casa (UTSA) def. Bonin/Vorkefeld (DU) 8-6
2. Brown/Rubio (UTSA) def. Krammer/Biasion (DU) 8-6
3. Kilgo/Kelleher (UTSA) vs. Manley/Craig (DU) unfinished
1. #50 Enej Bonin (DU) def. Martin Ayala (UTSA) 6-2, 6-1
2. Jens Vorkefeld (DU) def. Diogo Casa (UTSA) 6-2, 6-4
3. Joel Rubio (UTSA) def. Max Krammer (DU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-0
4. Henry Craig (DU) def. Tyler Brown (UTSA) 7-6 (7-4), 3-6, 6-3
5. David Kelleher (UTSA) def. Fabio Biasion (DU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Alex Clinkenbeard (DU) def. Eric Buchalter (UTSA) 6-0, 6-1