Roadrunners rally past Texas-Pan American on Sunday, 4-3
EDINBURG — UTSA rallied from an early 2-0 deficit to knock off Texas-Pan American on Sunday afternoon at the Orville Cox Tennis Center.
The Roadrunners (1-1) tied the match after senior Tyler Brown came back to win the final two sets at the No. 3 singles spot. Senior Martin Ayala then clinched the contest after netting a comeback victory at the top spot, where he rallied from a first-set deficit to win the final two frames by scores of 6-4 and 6-3.
The Broncs (1-3) jumped ahead after winning the doubles point and Victor Alves coasted to a straight-sets win against freshman Matt Mussenden at the sixth singles position.
UTSA battled back to pick up its first point when sophomore David Kelleher finished off Sebastien Job, 6-0, 6-2, at the No. 4 spot.
Meanwhile, UTPA pushed its advantage back to two with a victory at the fifth position.
The Roadrunners pulled to within one again when freshman Diogo Casa posted a 6-4, 6-1 triumph against Ricardo Hopker at second singles, which set up a thrilling finish.
UTSA will host New Mexico State in its home and Western Athletic Conference opener on Saturday, Feb. 9. First serve is scheduled for 2 p.m.
UTSA 4, Texas-Pan American 3
1. Ayala/Casa (UTSA) def. Job/Sanoja (UTPA) 8-6
2. Hasselberg/Panditi (UTPA) def. Kelleher/Kilgo (UTSA) 8-5
3. Panoulas/Alves (UTPA) def. Brown/Guanais (UTSA) 8-5
1. Martin Ayala (UTSA) def. Thomas Panoulas (UTPA) 1-6, 6-4, 6-3
2. Diogo Casa (UTSA) def. Ricardo Hopker (UTPA) 6-4, 6-1
3. Tyler Brown (UTSA) def. Chetan Panditi (UTPA) 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
4. David Kelleher (UTSA) def. Sebastien Job (UTPA) 6-0, 6-2
5. Alejandro Sanoja (UTPA) def. Eric Buchalter (UTSA) 6-1, 6-4
6. Victor Alves (UTPA) def. Matt Mussenden (UTSA) 6-1, 6-1