UTSA to compete at Conference USA Championship beginning on Sunday
SAN ANTONIO — UTSA will compete at its first-ever Conference USA Championship beginning on Sunday at Oak Tree Country Club (par 70/7,100 yards) in Edmond, Okla. The three-day event will wrap up on Tuesday.
The Roadrunners will square off against Charlotte, East Carolina, Florida Atlantic, Louisiana Tech, Marshall, Middle Tennessee, North Texas, Old Dominion, Rice, Southern Miss, Tulsa, No. 18 UAB and UTEP. The team champion will earn the league’s automatic bid to the NCAA Championship. Live scoring will be available at golfstat.com.
UTSA is coming off an eighth-place finish at the Wyoming Cowboys Classic (April 7-8) behind Bryce Alley’s 15th-place showing (71-67-73—211).
The Roadrunners have posted four runner-up finishes at conference championships, the last coming in 2006 in the Southland Conference. They placed fourth with a 903 in last year’s Western Athletic Conference Championship. Garrison Lackey and J.J. Lindsey paced the team by tying for fifth (223).
UTSA has claimed a pair of individual championships. Magnus Dohlvik recorded a 70-72-77—219 in 1997 to win the Southland Conference, while John Elizondo was the Southland’s top individual in 2006 after carding a 67-71-75—213.
What: Conference USA Championship
When: Sunday, April 27—Tuesday, April 29
Where: Oak Tree Country Club · Edmond, Okla.
Format: Three-day, 54-hole event (18 holes each day with tee times starting at 8 a.m.)
Tournament Field: Charlotte, East Carolina, Florida Atlantic, Louisiana Tech, Marshall, Middle Tennessee, North Texas, Old Dominion, Rice, Southern Miss, Tulsa, #18 UAB, UTEP, UTSA
Live Scoring: golfstat.com
2013 Team Champion: Houston (857)
2013 Individual Champion: Roman Robledo, Houston (208)
Bryce Alley, Fr. (Longview, Texas)
· Leads the squad with a 73.91 stroke average
· Registered a 72-72-76—220 to tie for 13th at the Rice Intercollegiate
· Carded a season-best 211 (71-67-73) to tie for 15th at the Wyoming Cowboys Classic
Brett Hogan, So. (Calgary, Alberta)
· Ranks second on the squad with a 74.12 stroke average
· Registered a career-best 208 (74-67-67) to tie for 10th at the Sam Hall Intercollegiate
· Posted a 76-74-73—223 to tie for 18th at the Rice Intercollegiate
Garrison Lackey, Jr. (Weslaco, Texas)
· Carded a season-best 217 (72-73-72) to tie for 27th at the Jerry Pate National Collegiate
· Stands fourth on the team with a 74.76 stroke average
· Tied for eighth with a 70-74-74—218 at the Rice Intercollegiate
J.J. Lindsey, So. (Adkins, Texas)
· Tied for 28th with a 72-75-78—225 at the UTSA Oak Hills Invitational
· Ranks fifth on the squad with a 75.18 stroke average
· Tied for fifth with a 223 (69-76-78) at the 2013 WAC Championship
Ryan Werre, Sr. (Redcliff, Alberta)
· Ranks third on the team with a 74.45 stroke average
· Tied for third with a 72-71-71—214 at the Rice Intercollegiate
· Owns 10 top-10 finishes during his UTSA career, including a pair in conference tournaments