UTSA to return to action at this week's Louisiana Classics
SAN ANTONIO — UTSA will return to the course next week when it travels to Lafayette, La., to compete in the 29th Annual Louisiana Classics. The two-day tournament is scheduled to tee off at 8 a.m. on Monday at Oakbourne Country Club (par 72/6,898 yards).
The Roadrunners will square off against teams from No. 9 Illinois, Illinois State, Kansas, Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana Tech, 33rd-ranked LSU, No. 47 New Mexico State, Southeastern Louisiana, Southern Miss, Texas State and Tulsa.
UTSA posted a 913 (306-310-297) to place 13th at last year’s tournament, behind Garrison Lackey’s 227 (75-77-75) which tied for 44th.
The Roadrunners last played at the Bayou City Collegiate Championship on Feb. 21-23 in Humble, where they carded an 872 (292-292-288) to finish in ninth place. Freshman Bryce Alley led the team by firing a 216 (71-74-71) to tie for 33rd.
What: 29th Annual Louisiana Classics
When: Monday, March 10 —Tuesday, March 11
Where: Oakbourne Country Club (par 72/6,898 yards) · Lafayette, La.
Format: Two-day, 54-hole event (36 holes with a shotgun start at 8 a.m. Monday; 18 holes with tee times beginning at 8 a.m. Tuesday)
Tournament Field: #9 Illinois, Illinois State, Kansas, Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana Tech, #33 LSU, #47 New Mexico State, Southeastern Louisiana, Southern Miss, Texas State, Tulsa, UTSA.
Live Scoring: golfstat.com
Live Video: ragincajuns.com
2013 Team Champion: Illinois (866)
2013 Individual Champion: Zach Wright, LSU (209)
Bryce Alley, Fr. (Longview, Texas)
· Ranks second on the team with a 74.62 stroke average
· Posted a 72-72-76—220 to tie for 13th at the Rice Intercollegiate
· Recorded a season-best-tying 216 (71-74-71) to tie for 33rd at the Bayou City Collegiate Championship
Brett Hogan, So. (Calgary, Alberta)
· Leads the team with a 74.52 stroke average
· Registered a career-best 208 (74-67-67) to tie for 10th at the Sam Hall Intercollegiate
· Tied for 18th with a 76-74-73—223 at the Rice Intercollegiate
· Recorded a 234 (79-76-79) to tie for 69th at the 2013 Louisiana Classics
Garrison Lackey, Jr. (Weslaco, Texas)
· Carded a season-best 217 (72-73-72) to tie for 27th at the Jerry Pate National Collegiate
· Stands fourth on the team with a 75.05 stroke average
· Tied for eighth with a 70-74-74—218 at the Rice Intercollegiate
· Posted a 227 (75-77-75) to tie for 44th at the 2013 Louisiana Classics
J.J. Lindsey, So. (Adkins, Texas)
· Carded a season-best 220 (74-73-73) to tie for 46th at the Bayou City Collegiate Championship
· Ranks fifth on the squad with a 75.76 stroke average
· Tied for fifth with a 223 (69-76-78) at the 2013 WAC Championship
· Recorded a 229 (76-78-75) to tie for 52nd at the Louisiana Classics
Ryan Werre, Sr. (Redcliff, Alberta)
· Ranks third on the team with a 74.81 stroke average
· Tied for third with a 72-71-71—214 at the Rice Intercollegiate
· Owns 10 top-10 finishes during his UTSA career
· Carded a 228 (76-79-73) to tie for 48th at the 2013 Louisiana Classics
Reed Stegall, Jr. (San Angelo, Texas) ^
· Recorded a 71-80-83—234 to finish 64th at the UTSA Oak Hills Invitational
· Tied for 33rd with a 237 (76-85-76) at the 2012 Southland Conference Championship
· Posted a 76.83 stroke average in 2012-13
^ competing as an individual