UTSA to look to defend title at this week's Rice Intercollegiate
SAN ANTONIO — The UTSA men’s golf team will look to defend its team title from one year ago when it competes in the 14th Annual Rice Intercollegiate on Monday-Tuesday, Feb. 17-18, at Westwood Golf Club (par 72/7,184 yards).
The Roadrunners will square off against teams from Arkansas State, Cincinnati, Drake, Florida Atlantic, Gonzaga, Houston Baptist, Lipscomb, McNeese State, Nicholls, Old Dominion, Rice, Sam Houston State, Stephen F. Austin and UTPA.
UTSA carded a two-under-par 862 (285-292-285) to win last year’s event by nine strokes ahead of Florida Atlantic. Brett Hogan paced the team with a five-under 211 (68-74-69) to tie for second, one shot behind the individual medalist, and lead the Birds to their first team title in 10 years.
The Roadrunners opened the spring season by tying for seventh-place (301-300-303—904) at the UTSA Oak Hills Invitational on Feb. 10-11. Ryan Werre and J.J. Lindsey tied for 28th (225) to lead the way.
What: Rice Intercollegiate
When: Monday, Feb. 17 —Tuesday, Feb. 18
Where: Westwood Golf Club (par 72/7,184 yards) · Houston, Texas
Format: Two-day, 54-hole event (8 a.m. shotgun start each day; 36 holes on Monday/18 holes on Tuesday)
Tournament Field: Arkansas State, Cincinnati, Drake, Florida Atlantic, Gonzaga, Houston Baptist, Lipscomb, McNeese State, Nicholls State, Old Dominion, Rice, Sam Houston State, Stephen F. Austin, UTPA, UTSA
Live Scoring: birdiefire.com
2013 Team Champion: UTSA (862)
2013 Individual Champion: Richard Donegan, Florida Atlantic (210)
Bryce Alley, Fr. (Longview, Texas)
· Ranks third on the team with a 75.40 stroke average
· Tied for 31st with a 222 (71-79-72) at the Herb Wimberly Intercollegiate on Oct. 21-22
· Registered a 216 (73-71-72) at the Sam Hall Intercollegiate to tie for 35th-place
Brett Hogan, So. (Calgary, Alberta)
· Leads the team with a 74.53 stroke average
· Carded a 208 (74-67-67) to tie for 10th at the Sam Hall Intercollegiate on Sept. 9-10
· Tied for second with a five-under 211 (68-74-69) at the 2013 Rice Intercollegiate
Garrison Lackey, Jr. (Weslaco, Texas)
· Tied for 27th with a 220 (72-73-72) at the 2013 Jerry Pate National Intercollegiate
· Ranks fourth on the team with a 75.80 stroke average
· Posted a 223 (70-79-74) to tie for fifth at the 2013 WAC Championship
J.J. Lindsey, So. (Adkins, Texas)
· Registered a 72-75-78—225 to tie for 28th at the 2014 UTSA Oak Hills Invitational
· Carded a 224 (73-79-72) to tie for 42nd at the Herb Wimberly Intercollegiate on Oct. 21-22
· Tied for fifth with a 223 (69-76-78) at the 2013 WAC Championship
Ryan Werre, Sr. (Redcliff, Alberta)
· Ranks second on the team with a 75.07 stroke average
· Tied for 28th with a 75-78-72—225 at the UTSA Oak Hills Invitational on Feb. 10-11
· Carded an even-par 216 (70-75-71) to tie for 10th at the 2013 Rice Intercollegiate