UTSA to open campaign at Sam Hall Intercollegiate on Monday
SAN ANTONIO — The UTSA men’s golf team will open its 2012-13 campaign at the 10th annual Sam H. Hall Intercollegiate on Monday-Tuesday, Sept. 10-11, at Hattiesburg Country Club (par 71/6,882 yards) in Hattiesburg, Miss.
The Roadrunners will compete against teams from Arkansas State, Louisiana Tech, Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana-Monroe, McNeese State, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Rice, Sam Houston State, Samford, South Alabama, Southeastern Louisiana, Southern Mississippi and UALR.
The two-day tournament tees off with 36 holes beginning with an 8:30 a.m. shotgun start on Monday, followed by 18 holes with tee times starting at 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday. Live scoring will be available online here.
The event is named for former Southern Miss golfer and coach, Sam Hall, who lettered at the school from 1955 to 1958, and later coached the program on two separate occasions. His last stint as head coach was a 10-year run from 1990-2000. Hall has distinguished himself on the golf course as a player by winning more than 300 golf tournaments as an amateur.
Fifth-year head coach John Knauer welcomes back seven letterwinners from last year’s squad that posted six top-10 finishes, including a season-best fifth-place showing at the Rice Intercollegiate. Headlining that list is junior Ryan Werre, who earned second-team All-Southland Conference honors after leading the Roadrunners with a 73.53 stroke average and five top-15 finishes, including three top 10s.
What: Sam Hall Intercollegiate
When: Monday, Sept. 10 — Tuesday, Sept. 11
Where: Hattiesburg Country Club (par 71/6,882 yards) · Hattiesburg, Miss.
Format: Two-day, 54-hole event (36 holes, 8:30 a.m. shotgun start on Monday/18 holes, 8:30 a.m. tee times on Tuesday)
Tournament Field: Arkansas State, Louisiana Tech, Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana-Monroe, McNeese State, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Rice, Sam Houston State, Samford, South Alabama, Southeastern Louisiana, Southern Mississippi, UALR, UTSA
Live Scoring: golfstat.com
2011 Team Champion: UAB
2011 Individual Champion: Jeff Shufflebottham, UAB & Blake Kelley, South Alabama
Stanton Tondre, Sr. (Castroville, Texas)
· Ranked second on team with a 75.16 stroke average in 2011-12
· Finished 11th with a 74-71-70—215 at the 2012 Jim West Intercollegiate
· Tied for 17th with a 72-71-76—219 at the 2011 Lone Star Invitational
· Advanced to 2012 Texas Golf Association Public Links match play quarterfinals
Ryan Werre, Jr. (Redcliff, Alberta)
· Led UTSA with a 73.53 stroke average in 2011-12
· Earned second-team All-Southland Conference honors
· Recorded five top-15 and three top-10 finishes as a sophomore
· Tied for fourth with a three-under 70-72-71—213 at th2 2012 Rice Intercollegiate
· 2012 U.S. Amateur Public Links Championship qualifier
Taylor Koser, Sr. (Rice Lake, Wisc.)
· Posted a 76.15 stroke average in 2011-12
· Earned Southland Conference All-Academic Team accolades
· Tied for 26th with a 78-70-72—220 at the Jim West Intercollegiate
J.J. Lindsey, Fr. (Adkins, Texas)
· No. 1-ranked junior by Golf San Antonio
· 2011 Greater San Antonio Junior Match Play Champion
· Won a 2011 U.S. Junior Amateur Qualifier at Briggs Ranch Golf Club
Brett Hogan, Fr. (Calgary, Alberta)
· One of Canada’s top-ranked junior golfers
· Posted top-10 finishes at a pair of Alberta Provincial Junior Boys Championships
· Placed 14th at the 2011 Alberta Men’s Amateur
Reed Stegall, So. (San Angelo, Texas)
· Will play as an individual
· Recorded a 77.47 stroke average in 2011-12
· Tied for 33rd with a 76-85-76—237 at the 2012 Southland Conference Championship
· Tied for 38th with a 76-71-74—221 at the 2012 ASU Thunderbird Invitational