Roadrunners to compete at this weekend's Bayou City Collegiate Championship
SAN ANTONIO — Fresh off their second consecutive Rice Intercollegiate Championship, the UTSA men's golf team will stay in Houston to compete at the Bayou City Collegiate Championship. The three-day tournament is scheduled to tee off on Friday morning at The Golf Club of Houston (par 72/6,982 yards).
The Roadrunners will compete against No. 19 Arkansas, No. 31 Baylor, Charlotte, No. 15 Houston, Houston Baptist, Lamar, Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, New Mexico State, Rice, No. 29 South Carolina, No. 14 South Florida and No. 21 Texas. The field will play 18 holes each day with tee times off Nos. 1 and 10 beginning at 9 a.m. on Friday and Saturday, followed by an 8:30 a.m. shotgun start on Sunday.
Last year in the inaugural event, UTSA placed 10th with a 292-296-295—883 behind Brett Hogan, who tied for 15th with an even-par 216. Texas captured the team title (842) behind individual winner Brandon Stone's nine-under 72-68-67—207.
The Roadrunners will have just two days off after winning the Rice Intercollegiate on Monday and Tuesday. Led by Ryan Werre's two-under 214 (72-71-71), UTSA shot a 290-291-294—875 to hold off Sam Houston State (878) and Cincinnati (879) in winning their third overall title at the tournament and 23rd in program history.
What: Bayou City Collegiate Championship
When: Friday, Feb. 21 — Sunday, Feb. 23
Where: The Golf Club of Houston (formerly Redstone Golf Club) · par 72, 6,982 yards
Format: Three-day, 54-hole stroke play (9 a.m. tee times on Friday and Saturday; 8:30 a.m. shotgun start on Sunday)
Tournament Field: #19 Arkansas, #31 Baylor, Charlotte, #15 Houston, Houston Baptist, Lamar, Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State, New Mexico State, Rice, #29 South Carolina, #21 Texas, #14 South Florida, UTSA
Live scoring: golfstat.com
2013 Team Champion: Texas (842)
2013 Individual Champion: Brandon Stone, Texas (207)
Bryce Alley, Fr. (Longview, Texas)
· Ranks third on the team with a 75.06 stroke average
· Tied for 13th with a 72-72-76—220 at the Rice Intercollegiate
· Carded a season-best 216 (73-71-72) to tie for 35th at the Sam Hall Intercollegiate
Brett Hogan, So. (Calgary, Alberta)
· Ranks second on the squad with a 74.50 stroke average
· Registered a career-best 208 (74-67-67) to tie for 10th at the Sam Hall Intercollegiate
· Tied for 18th with a 76-74-73—223 at the Rice Intercollegiate
Garrison Lackey, Jr. (Weslaco, Texas)
· Stands fourth on the team with a 75.28 stroke average
· Tied for eighth with a 70-74-74—218 at the Rice Intercollegiate
· Carded a season-best 217 (72-73-72) to tie for 27th at the Jerry Pate National Collegiate
J.J. Lindsey, So. (Adkins, Texas)
· Ranks fifth on the squad with a 76.17 stroke average
· Tied for 28th with a 72-75-78—225 at the UTSA Oak Hills Invitational
· Tied for fifth with a 223 (69-76-78) at the 2013 WAC Championship
Ryan Werre, Sr. (Redcliff, Alberta)
· Leads the team with a 74.44 stroke average
· Tied for third with a 72-71-71—214 at the Rice Intercollegiate
· Owns 10 top-10 finishes during his UTSA career