SAN ANTONIO — UTSA will return to the course this week when it travels to Vestavia Hills, Ala., to compete in the Jerry Pate National Intercollegiate. The two-day tournament is slated to tee off on Monday at Old Overton Country Club (par 70/7,204 yards).
The Roadrunners will compete against 11 other teams, including tournament host Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Auburn, Mississippi State, Charlotte, Texas, Texas A&M, UAB, UNLV and Vanderbilt. The field will play 36 holes on Monday, followed by 18 on the following day.
UTSA is coming off a 17th-place finish at the William H. Tucker Intercollegiate (Sept. 27-28). Sophomore Brett Hogan led the team with a 230 (77-74-79) to tie for 40th.
What: Jerry Pate National Intercollegiate
When: Monday, Oct. 7 — Tuesday, Oct. 8
Where: Old Overton Country Club (par 70/7,204 yards) · Vestavia Hills, Ala.
Format: Two-day, 54 hole event (36 on Monday/18 on Tuesday)
Tournament Field: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Auburn, Mississippi State, Charlotte, Texas, Texas A&M, UAB, UNLV, UTSA, Vanderbilt
Live Scoring: golfstat.com
2012 Team Champion: Alabama (288-287-282—857)
2012 Individual Champion: Justin Thomas, Alabama (74-64-70—208)
Bryce Alley, Fr. (Longview, Texas)
· Leads the team with a 73.00 stroke average
· Tied for 35th with a 216 (73-71-72) at the Sam Hall Intercollegiate on Sept. 9-10
· 2012 Legends Junior Tour Boys 15-18 Division Player of the Year
Brett Hogan, So. (Calgary, Alberta)
· Carded a 208 (74-67-67) to tie for 10th at the Sam Hall Intercollegiate
· Ranked second on team with a 74.64 stroke average last season
· Tied for second with a five-under 211 (68-74-69) at the 2013 Rice Intercollegiate
Garrison Lackey, Jr. (Weslaco, Texas)
· Recorded a 74.93 stroke average in 2012-13
· Tied for fifth with a 223 (70-79-74) at the 2013 WAC Championship
· Tied for 10th with a 216 (70-74-72) at the UTSA Oak Hills Invitational
J.J. Lindsey, So. (Adkins, Texas)
· Posted a 75.10 stroke average in 2012-13
· Recorded three top-10 finishes as a freshman
· Tied for fifth with a 223 (69-76-78) at the 2013 WAC Championship
Ryan Werre, Sr. (Redcliff, Alberta)
· Tied for 30th with a 215 (73-70-72) at the Sam Hall Intercollegiate
· Led UTSA with a 74.06 stroke average in 2012-13
· Recorded three top-10 finishes as a junior