SAN ANTONIO — UTSA will open the 2012-13 season this weekend with a trio of games at the Liberty Tax Classic in Norfolk, Va. The Roadrunners will face Morgan State at 4 p.m. (CT) on Friday, Holy Cross at the same time the following day and host Old Dominion at 1 p.m. (CT) on Sunday. The Roadrunners will be facing all three teams for the first time in program history.
Fast Break Points
· UTSA is 21-10 all-time in season openers, including 5-1 under seventh-year head coach Brooks Thompson
· The Roadrunners are 9-22 in road openers, including 2-5 in season openers that occur on the road — the two victories came against UTEP last year (73-64, 11/11/11) and Iowa three years ago (11/15/09)
· This will be UTSA’s first meeting with Morgan State, Holy Cross and future Conference USA opponent Old Dominion
· UTSA has won 15 of its past 25 games away from San Antonio, including a 6-2 mark on neutral courts
· The Roadrunners have not played a game in the Eastern time zone since the NCAA Tournament Second Round loss to Ohio State on March 18, 2011, in Cleveland, Ohio
· With the 71-43 victory against Southeastern Oklahoma State on Nov. 1, UTSA improved to 7-0 in exhibition games under Thompson
· UTSA returns six letterwinners, including two starters, from last year’s team that went 18-14 overall and finished third in the Southland Conference West Division with a 10-6 mark
· The Birds are picked to finish seventh in the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) in the league’s preseason head coaches and media polls
· Junior forward Jeromie Hill is a preseason second-team All-WAC selection
Click here for complete tournament notes.
2012 Liberty Tax Classic schedule