Football walk-on tryout information
SAN ANTONIO — The UTSA Football program announced Wednesday the procedure for its Fall 2014 walk-on tryouts.
Roster spots will be awarded to deserving individuals who are in compliance with UTSA, Conference USA and NCAA rules and regulations. Walk-ons must have completed the process and been selected by the coaches based on performance at the open walk-on tryout.
The tryout will consist of speed and agility drills, as well as position-specific skill evaluations with UTSA coaches, who will post the results of the tryout.
In order to participate in the walk-on program, YOU MUST BE ENROLLED AT UTSA FOR THE UPCOMING FALL 2014 SEMESTER AND SATISFY ALL OF THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS. NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE.
Please call the football office at (210) 458-5011 if you have any questions.
1. All students must be registered with the NCAA Eligibility Center (formally the NCAA Clearinghouse) and you must be eligible according to NCAA guidelines. This may be completed by clicking here.
2. Complete and submit the online walk-on form to the UTSA Football office by Friday, Aug. 8 (click here to fill out).
3. You must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 hours at UTSA for the Fall 2014 semester by Monday, Aug. 18.
4. When your questionnaire is received and verified, you must completely fill out the program's medical packet which will be emailed to you as confirmation that we have received your registration. A highlight and best game DVD of your high school senior season will be due in the football office with the medical packet by 3 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 15.
Fall 2014 Walk-On Timeline
Friday, Aug. 8
· Must be registered with the NCAA Eligibility Center (click here to register).
· Online walk-on form to be completed and submitted to the UTSA Football office (click here to fill out). Your confirmation of a completed registration will be the medical packet emailed to you. You must include your UTSA banner ID, UIN and NCAA Eligibility Center ID numbers, as well as a valid email address on your registration form.
Friday, Aug. 15 (please note 3 p.m. deadline)
· Deadline for medical packet information, highlight and best game DVD of your high school senior season to be in the football office. The return of the medical packet and DVD to the football office will alert us to add you to our academic and compliance checklists.
Monday, Aug. 18
· You must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 hours at UTSA for the Fall 2014 semester.
Friday, Sept. 5
· Deadline to submit additional eligibility materials to the NCAA Eligibility Center and/or UTSA Athletic Compliance Office, as well as additional medical materials to the UTSA Athletic Medicine staff.
Friday, Sept. 12
· Notice of clearance sent to candidates and this will include where to go, what to bring and when to be there.
Monday, Sept. 15
· Walk-on tryouts (speed and agility testing and also be prepared for position-specific drills).
· Practice times are in the morning, so classes should be scheduled to start after 11 a.m.
· If you have transferred into UTSA see the guidelines for transfers (click here to view the guidelines). If a permission to contact is required, your medical packet WILL NOT be sent until it is on file with the UTSA Athletics Compliance Office.
· Medical insurance that covers injuries that occur in intercollegiate athletics will be required to try out and must be continued if you make the team.
· After your registration has been confirmed, you can email links to film. Instructions for emailing film will be included with the medical packet.