UTSA Student-Athlete Advisory Committee
· 2012-13 members
A student-athlete advisory committee (SAAC) is a committee made up of student-athletes assembled to provide insight on the student-athlete experience. The SAAC also offers input on the rules, regulations and polices that affect student-athletes' lives on NCAA member institution campuses.
Though the focus of campus SAACs is intended to be more parochial in nature, communication among campus and national SAACs offers student-athletes the opportunity to shape the landscape of intercollegiate athletics.
Functions of campus SAACs
• Promote communication between athletics administration and student-athletes.
• Disseminate information.
• Provide feedback and insight into athletics department issues.
• Generate a student-athlete voice within the campus athletics department formulation of policies.
• Build a sense of community within the athletics program involving all athletics teams.
• Solicit student-athlete responses to proposed conference and NCAA legislation.
• Organize community service efforts.
• Create a vehicle for student-athlete representation on campus-wide committees (e.g., student government).
• Promote a positive student-athlete image on campus.
Members of a campus SAAC have the opportunity to address issues affecting student-athletes at their institution; furthermore, members have the opportunity to offer input on issues which may be national in scope.
The campus committee is meant to serve as a local student-athlete voice in addressing issues of student-athlete welfare at their respective institutions. Campus committees can facilitate better communication among student-athletes from various athletics teams to address issues common to all.
The campus SAAC may also serve as a conduit of communication among student-athletes, coaches and athletics administrators on issues to improve the student-athlete experience and promote growth and education through sports participation. Concerns can be voiced and solutions offered regarding any issue that may be relevant to NCAA student-athletes.
Through the grass-roots efforts of campus SAACs, student-athletes have the opportunity to change the face of intercollegiate athletics.
Division I SAAC Mission Statement
The mission of the NCAA Division I Student-Athlete Advisory Committee is to enhance the total student-athlete experience by promoting opportunity, protecting student-athlete welfare, and fostering a positive student-athlete image.
Division I SAAC Guiding Principles
The Division I SAAC will be guided by the following principles: ethics, integrity, fairness, and a respect for diversity, which shall include attention to gender, race, ethnicity, and sport.
Guided by ethics, integrity, fairness, and a respect for diversity, we, as the NCAA Division I Student-Athlete Advisory Committee will attend committee meetings fully prepared to represent our conferences and institutions honestly and fairly.