Location: Charlotte, N.C.
Chancellor: Philip L. Dubois
Athletics Director: Judy Rose
Football Facility: Jerry Richardson Stadium (15,000)
Basketball Facility: Halton Arena (9,105)
Media Market: No. 25 Charlotte (1,140,900 TV households)
Sponsored Sports: 17
Men (9) — baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, soccer, tennis, indoor & outdoor track & field
Women (8) — basketball, cross country, soccer, softball, tennis, indoor & outdoor track & field, volleyball
On the Web
· Charlotte has an enrollment of 26,232 students and sponsors 17 sports, with football beginning competition in 2013 as a member of the Football Championship Series (FCS).
· The 49ers are making a return to Conference USA, where they were members from 1995-2005. During that time, they went to eight NCAA Tournaments in men’s basketball and won the 1999 and 2001 league titles.
· The men’s soccer team advanced to the 1996 NCAA College Cup and also made a return to the prestigious event in 2011.
· A research intensive university, UNC Charlotte is the fourth-largest of the 16 institutions within the University of North Carolina system and the largest in the Charlotte region.
· The university comprises seven professional colleges and currently offers 19 doctoral and 64 master’s degree programs in addition to 86 bachelor’s degrees. More than 900 full-time faculty comprise the university’s academic departments and UNC Charlotte boasts more than 90,000 living alumni and adds nearly 4,500 new alumni each year.
· Clay Aiken — American Idol runner-up, Broadway star
· Eddie Basden — 2005 Conference USA Player of the Year and former National Basketball Association player
· Calvin Brock — Heavyweight boxer
· Jon Busch — San Jose Earthquakes goalkeeper
· Roger Canaff — Nationally-recognized legal expert, anti-violence advocate and child-protection specialist
· Heather Childers — FOX News weekend anchor
· Chris Haney — Former Major League Baseball pitcher for the Kansas City Royals and Montreal Expos
· Matt Hardy — Professional wrestler
· Bryan Harvey — Former Major League Baseball pitcher for the California Angels and Florida Marlins
· David Hauser — Former CFO, Duke Energy; Chairman & CEO, Fairpoint Communications
· DeMarco Johnson — Professional basketball player
· John Maine — Major League Baseball pitcher for the New York Mets and Miami Marlins
· Cedric Maxwell — Former National Basketball Association player with the Boston Celtics and television commentator
· Dave Moody — Dove Award-winning artist, producer, song writer and independent filmmaker
· The Moody Brothers — Grammy-nominated artists and musicians
· Benny Moss — Former UNC Wilmington head basketball coach
· Robert A. Niblock — Chairman, President & CEO, Lowe's
· Joe Posnanski — New York Times and Kansas City Star best-selling author, Sports Illustrated senior writer, NBC Sports writer
· Anne Tompkins — U.S. Attorney for the Western District of North Carolina
· Melvin Watkins — Former head men's basketball coach at Charlotte and Texas A&M
· Rodney White — Professional basketball player