DENVER, Colo. — No. 3 seed UTSA dropped the doubles point, but the Roadrunners rallied to win all four completed singles matches and top sixth-seeded UT Arlington, 4-1, in the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) Tournament quarterfinals on Friday at the Gates Tennis Center.
UTSA (13-10) lost the doubles point after the Mavericks (7-14) recorded victories at the top two flights.
However, the Birds quickly rebounded in singles action.
David Kelleher made quick work of Javier Perez at the fifth position with a 6-3, 6-2 victory to tie the contest and, minutes later, Joel Rubio gave UTSA the lead for good with a straight-sets win at the third spot.
Diogo Casa then pulled out a three-frame triumph against Carlos Arbiza at No. 2 singles and Martin Ayala clinched the match with a three-set win at the top spot.
The Roadrunners now will face No. 2 seed Idaho (20-6), which received a first-round bye, in the tournament semifinals at 11 a.m. (CT) on Saturday.
UTSA closed out the regular season with a come-from-behind 4-3 victory against the then-72nd-ranked Vandals on April 19. The loss was the lone blemish for Idaho in league play this spring.
Western Athletic Conference Tournament
UTSA 4, UT Arlington 1
1. Yakauleu/Pesicka (UTA) def. Ayala/Casa (UTSA) 8-6
2. Arbiza/Perez (UTA) def. Brown/Rubio (UTSA) 8-5
3. Kelleher/Kilgo (UTSA) vs. Erimicioiu/Williams (UTA) 4-4, unfinished
1. Martin Ayala (UTSA) def. Yauheni Yakauleu (UTA) 6-1, 2-6, 7-6 (7-3)
2. Diogo Casa (UTSA) def. Carlos Arbiza (UTA) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
3. Joel Rubio (UTSA) def. Marek Pesicka (UTA) 7-5, 7-5
4. Tyler Brown (UTSA) vs. Sebastian Erimicioiu (UTA) 3-6, 7-6, 3-1, unfinished
5. David Kelleher (UTSA) def. Javier Perez (UTA) 6-3, 6-2
6. Eric Buchalter (UTSA) vs. Stefan Williams (UTA) 1-6, 7-5, 4-4, unfinished