LEWISTON, Idaho — UTSA rallied from an early deficit to knock off Western Athletic Conference-leading and 72nd-ranked Idaho, 4-3, on Friday night at the LSCS Tennis Center.
The Roadrunners (12-10, 3-1 WAC) lost the opening doubles point, but won four of the six singles contests to clinch the match.
David Kelleher netted the clinching point with a 7-5, 6-1 victory over Cristobal Ramos Salazar at No. 5 singles.
The Vandals (20-6, 4-1 WAC), who had won their previous four league contests by at least three points, were unable to capitalize on the early momentum of doubles play.
UTSA registered two quick victories by Joel Rubio and Tyler Brown at Nos. 3 and 4 singles, to take a 2-1 lead.
However, Idaho responded to tie the contest after Abid Akbar held off Diogo Casa at the second position.
The Birds then received a three-set win from Martin Ayala at the top spot before Kelleher clinched the match minutes later.
UTSA will close out the regular season at Seattle (1-21, 0-5 WAC) on Sunday. First serve is scheduled for 11:30 a.m. (CT/please not time change).
UTSA 4, #72 Idaho 3
1. Ayala/Casa (UTSA) def. Bendeck/Salazar (UI) 8-4
2. Akbar/Cirstea (UI) def. Brown/Rubio (UTSA) 8-1
3. Perevoshchikov/Torres (UI) def. Kelleher/Kilgo (UTSA) 8-3
1. Martin Ayala (UTSA) def. Dmitry Perevoshchikov (UI) 7-6 (7-5), 3-6, 6-4
2. Abid Akbar (UI) def. Diogo Casa (UTSA) 6-4, 7-6 (12-10)
3. Joel Rubio (UTSA) def. Marius Cirstea (UI) 6-7 (3-7), 6-1, 6-4
4. Tyler Brown (UTSA) def. Jose Bendeck (UI) 7-6 (7-2), 6-4
5. David Kelleher (UTSA) def. Cristobal Ramos Salazar (UI) 7-5, 6-1
6. Cesar Torres (UI) def. Eric Buchalter (UTSA) 6-2, 6-3