UTSA upends UT Arlington on Saturday, 4-1
ARLINGTON — UTSA rallied from a 1-0 deficit and won four consecutive singles contests to knock off UT Arlington, 4-1, in its Western Athletic Conference (WAC) opener on Saturday at the UTA Tennis Center.
The Roadrunners (9-8, 1-0 WAC) dropped two of the three doubles tilts to fall behind early, but they got a clean sweep in singles competition.
Joel Rubio netted a 7-5, 6-1 win against Carlos Arbiza at the third singles position to lift the squad to its first-ever WAC victory.
Meanwhile, Martin Ayala, Diogo Casa and David Kelleher all picked up straight-sets victories to give the Birds a commanding 3-1 lead.
Kelleher and Kolby Kilgo registered UTSA's lone win in doubles action after defeating Sebastian Gomez and Javier Perez, 8-3, at the third spot.
The Mavericks (6-10, 0-2 WAC), who lost their third consecutive match, managed wins at Nos. 1 and 2 doubles.
The Roadrunners will return to San Antonio to host Louisiana-Lafayette (10-9) at 2:30 p.m. on Monday, April 1.
UTSA 4, UT Arlington 1
1. Goritzka/Pesicka (UTA) def. Ayala/Casa (UTSA) 8-6
2. Yakauleu/Arbiza (UTA) def. Brown/Rubio (UTSA) 8-3
3. Kelleher/Kilgo (UTSA) def. Gomez/Perez (UTA) 8-3
1. Martin Ayala (UTSA) def. Yauheni Yakauleu (UTA) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
2. Diogo Casa (UTSA) def. Soren Goritzka (UTA) 7-5, 6-2
3. Joel Rubio (UTSA) def. Carlos Arbiza (UTA) 7-5, 6-1
4. Tyler Brown (UTSA) vs. Sebastian Erimicioiu (UTA) 6-2, 4-5, unfinished
5. David Kelleher (UTSA) def. Marek Pesicka (UTA) 6-2, 6-2
6. Eric Buchalter (UTSA) vs. Sebastian Gomez (UTA) 6-4, 5-5, unfinished