SAN ANTONIO — Isabelle Jonsson battled through three sets at No. 2 singles and provided the clinching point, as UTSA edged former Southland Conference foe Northwestern State, 4-3, on Sunday at the UTSA Tennis Center.
Jonsson claimed the opening frame against Tatiana Larina, 6-3, but the tilt was tied up following a 6-2 decision in the following panel. The Eskilstuna, Sweden, native rallied to clinch the contest for the Roadrunners (4-2) with a 6-4 win in the third set.
UTSA took an early lead in the match after winning two of three doubles matchups. The Lady Demons (3-3) then took three of the first five singles contests to pull even, which set up Jonsson's dramatic victory.
Irene Gandara Gonzalez and Miranda Poile helped out in singles play with straight-sets wins.
The Roadrunners will return to the courts on Friday, Feb. 22, at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (5-0). First serve is scheduled for 2 p.m.
UTSA 4, Northwestern State 3
1. Larina/Nedorostova (NWLA) def. Jonsson/Shichkova (UTSA) 8-5
2. Garcia-Diaz/Junger (UTSA) def. Konop/Krutova (NWLA) 8-6
3. Hand/Menon (UTSA) def. Simonova/Williams (NWLA) 9-7
1. Polina Konop (NWLA) def. Jacobea Junger (UTSA) 6-3, 6-3
2. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) def. Tatiana Larina (NWLA) 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
3. Natalya Krutova (NWLA) def. Alena Shichkova (UTSA) 6-1, 6-2
4. Andrea Nedorostova (NWLA) def. Daniela Garcia-Diaz (UTSA) 6-2, 6-2
5. Miranda Poile (UTSA) def. Amy Williams (NWLA) 6-2, 6-2
6. Irene Gandara Gonzalez (UTSA) def. Daniela Simonova (NWLA) 6-2, 6-2