UTSA falls to Idaho in Western Athletic Conference Tournament semifinals, 4-2
DENVER, Colo. — No. 3 seed UTSA saw its season come to an end with a 4-2 loss to second-seeded Idaho in the Western Athletic Conference Tournament semifinals on Saturday at the Gates Tennis Center.
The Vandals (21-6) broke a 2-2 tie by winning the Nos. 4 and 5 singles matches in straight sets to advance to Sunday's championship match.
The Roadrunners (13-11) fell behind 2-1 and pulled even after Martin Ayala posted a 7-6 (7-4), 6-4 victory against Dmitry Perevoshchikov at the top singles spot.
However, Jose Bendeck gave Idaho a 3-2 lead after topping Tyler Brown and Cesar Torres clinched the match with a 6-2, 6-2 win over David Kelleher.
Idaho took the early advantage after winning two of the three doubles tilts.
2013 Western Athletic Conference Tournament
Idaho 4, UTSA 2
1. Akbar/Cirstea (UI) def. Ayala/Casa (UTSA) 8-5
2. Brown/Rubio (UTSA) def. Bendeck/Salazar Ramos (UI) 8-5
3. Perevoshchikov/Torres (UI) def. Kelleher/Kilgo (UTSA) 8-5
1. Martin Ayala (UTSA) def. Dmitry Perevoshchikov (UI) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
2. Abid Akbar (UI) vs. Diogo Casa (UTSA) 7-6 (9-7), 3-2, unfinished
3. Joel Rubio (UTSA) def. Marius Cirstea (UI) 6-3, 6-3
4. Jose Bendeck (UI) def. Tyler Brown (UTSA) 7-5, 6-4
5. Cesar Torres (UI) def. David Kelleher (UTSA) 6-2, 6-2
6. Cristobal Salazar Ramos (UI) def. Eric Buchalter (UTSA) 6-1, 6-1