UTSA rolls past eighth-ranked Laredo Community College, 6-1
SAN ANTONIO — Diogo Casa provided the clinching point and UTSA rolled to a 6-1 victory against Laredo Community College on Saturday afternoon at the UTSA Tennis Center.
The Roadrunners (8-7) rebounded from last Friday's loss against Southern Mississippi by winning two of three doubles contests and five of six singles tilts against the Palominos (3-5), who are ranked eighth in the latest ITA/NJCAA poll.
Casa clinched the match for UTSA following a three-set win against Hamid Derbani at the second singles position.
Meanwhile, Tyler Brown, Eric Buchalter, David Kelleher and Joel Rubio also won their matches, all in straight sets.
Brown snapped a string of six consecutive losses after cruising to a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Luis Hernandez at the No. 4 spot, while Buchalter earned his first collegiate win at the sixth position.
The Birds return to action at 2:30 p.m. on Sunday against No. 14 Abilene Christian (10-10). The contest will take place at Fair Oaks Ranch Country Club.
UTSA 6, #8 Laredo Community College 1
1. Ayala/Casa (UTSA) def. Gomes/Hernandez (LCC) 8-4
2. Derbani/Ramirez (LCC) def. Brown/Rubio (UTSA) 8-6
3. Kelleher/Kilgo (UTSA) def. Esfandi/Infante (LCC) 8-4
1. Caio Gomes (LCC) def. Martin Ayala (UTSA) 7-6 (7-5), 4-6, 1-0 (10-7)
2. Diogo Casa (UTSA) def. Hamid Derbani (LCC) 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (10-6)
3. Joel Rubio (UTSA) def. Hector Ramirez (LCC) 6-1, 6-4
4. Tyler Brown (UTSA) def. Luis Hernandez (LCC) 6-2, 6-2
5. David Kelleher (UTSA) def. Eman Esfandi (LCC) 6-0, 6-1
6. Eric Buchalter (UTSA) def. Alex Infante (LCC) 6-1, 6-2