CORPUS CHRISTI — UTSA split a pair of matches on Friday at the 47th annual H-E-B Tournament of Champions.
The Roadrunners (6-4) got past South Alabama, 4-2, in the morning to advance to the tournament semifinals before dropping a 4-2 decision to No. 34 Middle Tennessee later in the day.
UTSA will face Louisiana-Lafayette (6-6), which lost to event host
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, 4-2, in the other semifinal contest, on
First Round: UTSA 4, South Alabama 2
UTSA knocked off South Alabama, 4-2, in Friday's opening round of the 47th annual H-E-B Tournament of Champions.
The Roadrunners (6-3) will face No. 34 Middle Tennessee (9-4), which defeated DePaul in the first round, in the main draw semifinals later today at 4 p.m.
Diogo Casa provided the clinching point for UTSA.
The Birds claimed two of the three doubles matches to pick up the opening point. The Jaguars (3-6) then took a brief 2-1 lead after winning the Nos. 3 and 6 singles contests.
However, UTSA answered by winning the next three points to clinch the victory.
David Kelleher tied things up following his straight-sets win at the fifth position and Joel Rubio gave the Roadrunners the lead for good with a three-frame victory at No. 4.
Meanwhile, Casa wrapped up the match with a 7-6 (8-6), 7-6 (7-2) triumph against Alex Bernard at the second position.
The Roadrunners and Blue Raiders will meet for the second time in eight days. Middle Tennessee swept UTSA last Friday in Murfreesboro, Tenn.
UTSA 4, South Alabama 2
1. Ayala/Casa (UTSA) def. Leitner/Gruindelingh (USA) 8-4
2. Brown/Rubio (UTSA) def. Troglia/Gregor (USA) 8-6
3. Bernard/Vaezzadeh (USA) def. Kelleher/Breininger (UTSA) 8-2
1. Martin Ayala (UTSA) vs. Daniel Leitner (USA) 5-7, 7-6, 3-3, unfinished
2. Diogo Casa (UTSA) def. Alex Bernard (USA) 7-6 (8-6), 7-6 (7-2)
3. Gerhar Gruindelingh (USA) def. Tyler Brown (UTSA) 6-3, 6-3
4. Joel Rubio (UTSA) def. Cody Hall (USA) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
5. David Kelleher (UTSA) def. Shayann Vaezzadeh (USA) 6-3, 6-2
6. Blake Gregor (USA) def. Oliver Breininger (UTSA) 6-2, 6-0
Semifinals: #34 Middle Tennessee 4, UTSA 2
UTSA dropped a 4-2 decision to No. 34 Middle Tennessee on Friday evening in the main draw semifinals of the 47th annual H-E-B Tournament of Champions at the H-E-B Tennis Center. It marked the second matchup between the two teams in the last eight days.
The Roadrunners (6-4) picked up a pair of points in singles play, but the Blue Raiders (9-4) won the four other matchups to secure the victory and advance to the championship match, where they will face tournament host Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.
Diogo Casa and Joel Rubio collected UTSA's points at Nos. 2 and 4 singles.
Casa rallied from a one-set deficit to defeat Victor Cornea in three frames, while Rubio also went the distance against Yannick Born to pick up his win.
#34 Middle Tennessee 4, UTSA 2
1. #92 Ben Davis (MT) def. Martin Ayala (UTSA) 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
2. Diogo Casa (UTSA) def. Victor Cornea (MT) 1-6, 6-2, 6-2
3. Christoph Lang (MT) def. Tyler Brown (UTSA) 7-6 (11-9), 6-0
4. Joel Rubio (UTSA) def. Yannick Born (MT) 7-6 (7-3), 6-7 (2-7), 6-4
5. Ettore Zito (MT) def. David Kelleher (UTSA) 6-4, 6-1
6. David Fox (MT) def. Eric Buchalter (UTSA) 6-2, 6-0