Roadrunners roll past Lamar, 6-1
SAN ANTONIO — UTSA dropped the opening doubles point but won all six singles matchups en route to a 6-1 home victory against former Southland Conference foe Lamar on Sunday afternoon.
The Roadrunners (4-2) easily won all the singles contests in straight sets.
Lamar (1-7) took two of the three doubles matchups to grab the early advantage.
However, Tyler Brown continued his strong start to the spring with a 6-3, 6-2 win against Bruno Snyder at No. 3 singles. The New Braunfels native now leads the Birds with a 5-1 record.
Meanwhile, Martin Ayala and Diogo Casa remained unbeaten at the top doubles spot. The duo registered an 8-4 triumph against Rob Lee and Steven McMullan to improve to a perfect 6-0.
UTSA will return to action on Friday, Feb. 22, when it squares off with future Conference USA foe and 43rd-ranked Middle Tennessee (6-2) in Murfreesboro, Tenn. First serve is slated for 3 p.m.
UTSA 6, Lamar 1
1. Ayala/Casa (UTSA) def. Lee/McMullan (LU) 6-0
2. Rajamaki/Snyder (LU) def. Brown/Kilgo (UTSA) 8-5
3. Crysel/Lindqvist (LU) def. Rubio/Guanais (UTSA) 8-6
1. Martin Ayala (UTSA) def. Rob Lee (LU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Diogo Casa (UTSA) def. Carl Philip Lindqvist (LU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Tyler Brown (UTSA) def. Bruno Snyder (LU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Joel Rubio (UTSA) def. Steven McMullan (LU) 6-4, 6-2
5. David Kelleher (UTSA) def. Mikko Rajamaki (LU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Kolby Kilgo (UTSA) def. Trey Crysel (LU) 6-2, 6-0