Roadrunners rally past Tulane on Thursday, 4-3
NEW ORLEANS, La. — UTSA ended its two-match losing streak in dramatic fashion on Thursday with a 4-3, come-from-behind victory at Tulane.
After falling into an early 3-0 hole against the Green Wave (4-19), the Roadrunners (11-9) began to rally when Irene Gandara Gonzalez outlasted Emily Dvorak in three sets on the sixth singles court (6-2, 0-6, 6-2).
UTSA then pulled to within a point following Isabelle Jonsson's straight sets win (7-6 [7-4], 6-0) at the No. 3 position against Jacqui Katz, which was the senior's 12th victory of the dual match campaign.
Lina Hallgren knotted things up at three following her 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (7-5) triumph against Margaux Hyman at the No. 5 spot in the lineup and that meant the match would be decided on the fourth court, where Nicole Karaklis faced off with Meredith Maltby.
Maltby won the opening set, 6-4, but Karaklis rallied for a pair of 6-3 triumphs to clinch the victory for the Roadrunners.
UTSA will conclude its regular season on Sunday at No. 21 Rice (13-6). First serve is scheduled for 11 a.m.
UTSA 4, Tulane 3
1. Katz/Vyskocilova (TU) def. Junger/Rosell Canudas (UTSA) 8-1
2. Birol/Maltby (TU) def. Garcia-Diaz/Shichkova (UTSA) 8-3
3. Dvorak/Hyman (TU) vs. Hallgren/Jonsson (UTSA) 7-6, unfinished
1. #52 Klara Vyskocilova (TU) def. Jacobea Junger (UTSA) 6-1, 6-0
2. Ipek Birol (TU) def. Miriam Rosell Canudas (UTSA) 7-5, 6-2
3. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) def. Jacqui Katz (TU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-0
4. Nicole Karaklis (UTSA) def. Meredith Maltby (TU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
5. Lina Hallgren (UTSA) def. Margaux Hyman (TU) 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (7-5)
6. Irene Gandara Gonzalez (UTSA) def. Emily Dvorak (TU) 6-2, 0-6, 6-2