Shop Now
Article Image
Courtesy: Jeff Huehn/UTSA Athletics

Roadrunners fall to Lamar in Sunday's UTSA Classic finale, 3-1

Courtesy: UTSA Athletics
Release: 09/01/2013
Courtesy UTSA Athletics
Print RSS

SAN ANTONIO — Taylor Wingerden’s goal in the opening minutes of the second half erased a halftime deficit, but Lamar responded with a pair of winners later in the stanza en route to a 3-1 victory against UTSA in the final match of the UTSA Classic on Sunday afternoon.

Wingerden’s first goal of the season was all of the offense the Roadrunners (1-3) could muster despite out-shooting Lamar, 13-9. Happy Orere-Amadu recorded a match-high five shots, while Wingerden finished the contest with three.

Meanwhile, Taylor Mitchell assisted on a pair of goals for the Lady Cardinals (2-2), who bounced back from a 3-0 defeat against South Dakota State on Friday night. Goalkeeper Bailey Fontenot made five saves to help stall the UTSA offense.

Lamar lit up the scoreboard early by finding the back of the net on its first shot, which came off the foot of Kimmy Albeno in the sixth minute. Mitchell slipped a pass through the Roadrunners defense to an open Albeno and the Bellflower, Calif., native beat Bubba Makela from the right side of the penalty box for the early lead.

The Roadrunners limited Lamar to just three more shots in the opening period and managed seven of their own, but they could not find the equalizer until after halftime.

In the 48th minute, Wingerden took a pass up the left side of the penalty box and fired a shot that Fontenot stopped but could not control. The Macedon, N.Y., native collected the rebound and deposited a shot into the empty net.

However, the Lady Cardinals took the momentum back 11 minutes later when Jennifer Yacuta’s shot trickled past a pair of Roadrunners defenders and Makela to claim a 2-1 lead.

UTSA looked to knot the score again in the 65th minute when Wingerden once again collected a rebound after a collision that left Fontenot on the ground and the goal exposed. However, a foul halted the play before the junior’s shot sailed into the goal.

Stefanie Miroballi provided the final margin with a long shot in the 77th minute. Her high attempt from 30 yards out hit the bottom of the crossbar and bounced in for her first goal of the campaign.

Makela took the loss for the Roadrunners and fell to 1-2 on the campaign.

UTSA will be back in action on Friday, Sept. 6, when it hosts Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (0-3) at 7 p.m.

','hspace':null,'vspace':null,'align':null,'bgcolor':null}" /> >=

Soccer News
Soccer Meet & Greet
UTSA Athletics holiday message
McNeese State post-match comments