SAN ANTONIO — No. 41 UTSA will open its spring season this weekend at the Florida State Match-Up in Tallahassee, Fla. The Roadrunners finished the fall with a top-five finish at The Alamo Invitational in November.
Junior Fabiola Arriaga enters the spring with a Western Athletic Conference-leading 71.92 stroke average. The Torreon, Mexico, native recorded three top-10 finishes during the fall, including a tie for second place at the Golfweek Conference Challenge.
The tournament is a unique event and the first one of its kind in women’s collegiate golf.
Six teams were initially invited to play at the tournament and those six were able to contact a team of their choice to partner with for the event. The partnerships consist of head coaches with their former assistant coaches, who have gone on to lead programs of their own.
The 12 teams will tee off in twosomes for the first two rounds before a final shotgun round of threesomes. This year’s partners are Florida/Texas A&M, Furman/Kansas, Notre Dame/Michigan, Oklahoma/Georgia, Tennessee/UTSA and UNC Greensboro/UNC Wilmington.
In addition to normal tournament scoring, the pairs will be pitted against each other by taking the best four scores from each group of 10 players along with the worst score to make the Match-Up team total.
Where: Southwood Golf Club (par 72/7,172 yards) — Tallahassee, Fla.
When: Friday, Feb. 15 — Sunday, Feb. 17
Format: Three-day event with tee times for the first two days and a shotgun start for Sunday's final round.
Teams: Florida State, Furman, #16 Georgia, Kansas, Michigan, #15 Notre Dame, #6 Oklahoma, #33 Tennessee, #21 Texas A&M, UNC Greensboro, UNC Wilmington, UTSA.
Live scoring: golfstat.com
Fabiola Arriaga (Jr. - Torreon, Mexico)
· Recorded a three of top-10 finishes this season
· Leads the WAC and ranks 16th in the nation with a 71.92 stroke average
· Shot a career-low round of 68 in the second round of the Golfweek Conference Challenge (Sept. 24-26)
· 2012 Southland Conference Player of the Year
· Two-time first-team all-conference selection
· Set a program record with a 74.91 stroke average last season
Chelsea Bretcher (Jr. - Austin, Texas)
· Owns a 76.65 career stroke average and is fourth on the squad at 75.56 this season
· Shot a career-low 222 (73-75-74) to tie for 26th at the Mercedes-Benz Intercollegiate (Oct. 12-14)
· Shot a career-best round of 72 at The Alamo Invitational (Oct. 28-30)
Taylor Newlin (Jr. - Frisco, Texas)
· Third on the team with a 75.42 stroke average
· Shot a season-low 216 (72-78-71) in her last outing at The Alamo Invitational (Oct. 28-30)
· 2011 and 2012 second-team All-Southland Conference
· Her 76.40 stroke average ranks third in program history
· Has played in all 26 tournaments in the last three seasons
Brogan Townend (Fr. - Blackburn, England)
· Owns a 77.22 stroke average
· Shot a season-best 220, which included a round of 68, at The Alamo Invitational (Oct. 28-30)
· Tied for 28th at the event for her best finish of the fall
· A member of the English National Team
· Two-time runner-up at the Northern Women's Championship
· 2011 Faldo Series Girls Champion
Paola Valerio (Sr. - Mexico City, Mexico)
· Second on the team with a 75.33 stroke average
· Tied for 22nd at The Alamo Invitational (Oct. 28-30), where she carded rounds of 71-73-74 for a season-low 218
· Three-time All-Southland Conference honoree (first-team: 2010, 2011/second-team: 2012)
· 2011 Southland Conference Player of the Year
· Ranks second in program history with a 75.99 career scoring average
· Has played in a team-high 30 tournaments during her career