Roadrunners edge UT Arlington, 4-3, on Friday
ARLINGTON — The UTSA men's tennis team got singles and doubles wins from both Joel Rubio and Tomas Stillman and the Roadrunners edged UT Arlingtonby a score of 4-3 on Friday afternoon at the UTA Tennis Center.
Rubio and Stillman, the nation's No. 27-ranked doubles team, picked up for a convincing 8-2 victory against the Mavericks' (3-8) 49th-ranked tandem of Carlos Arbiza and Javier Perez at the No. 1 spot. Yannick Junger and Boburjon Kamiljanov then provided the decisive win on the second court with an 8-7 (9-7) triumph against Marek Pesicka and Sebastian Erimicioiu to give the Roadrunners (5-9) an early lead heading into the six singles contests.
Stillman upset No. 125 Arbiza at the No. 2 position, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4), while Rubio scored a 6-4, 6-4 victory against Daniel Armengol on the third court. Junger was the other winnner for the visitors with a 6-2, 6-3 decision over Pesicka at the top spot.
The Roadrunners will remain in Arlington for an 11 a.m. neutral-site match against New Mexico State (7-4) on Saturday.
UTSA 4, UT Arlington 3
1. #27 Rubio/Stillman (UTSA) def. #49 Arbiza/Perez (UTA) 8-2
2. Junger/Kamiljanov (UTSA) def. Erimicioiu/Pesicka (UTA) 8-7 (9-7)
3. Armengol/Robles (UTA) vs. Brand/Casa (UTSA) 6-6, unfinished
1. Yannick Junger (UTSA) def. Marek Pesicka (UTA) 6-2, 6-3
2. Tomas Stillman (UTSA) def. #125 Carlos Arbiza (UTA) 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
3. Joel Rubio (UTSA) def. Daniel Armengol (UTA) 6-4, 6-4
4. Sebastian Erimicioiu (UTA) def. Diogo Casa (UTSA) 6-3, 6-1
5. Mario Muniesa (UTA) def. Harley Pearson (UTSA) 7-5, 6-2
6. Daniel Echevery (UTA) def. Boburjon Kamiljanov (UTSA) 6-3, 6-1