Roadrunners close out home slate with 4-0 victory against New Mexico State
SAN ANTONIO — UTSA ended a six-match losing streak and closed out its home schedule with a 4-0 victory against New Mexico State on Sunday afternoon.
The Roadrunners (6-11, 1-5 WAC) raced out early to a 1-0 lead after winning the top two doubles contests.
UTSA then picked up three consecutive points in singles play to complete the shutout.
Jacobea Junger paced the Birds in singles with a 6-2, 6-4 victory at the top spot, while Isabelle Jonsson and Irene Gandara Gonzalez also netted straight-sets wins at the Nos. 2 and 6 positions, respectively.
The Aggies fell to 5-13 overall and 1-5 in Western Athletic Conference play.
The Roadrunners will head to Moscow, Idaho, next weekend for a trio of matches to close out the regular season. UTSA will begin the weekend on Friday, April 12, against San Jose State (14-5, 6-1 WAC).
UTSA 4, New Mexico State 0
1. Jonsson/Shichkova (UTSA) def. Pinero/Nguyen (NMSU) 8-5
2. Junger/Garcia-Diaz (UTSA) def. Williams/Van Der Ben (NMSU) 8-4
3. Menon/Hand (UTSA) vs. Witte/Brandt (NMSU) 7-4, unfinished
1. Jacobea Junger (UTSA) def. Ginet Pinero (NMSU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) def. Jodie Williams (NMSU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Alena Shichkova (UTSA) vs. Denise Van Der Ben (NMSU) 2-6, 6-3, 0-1, unfinished
4. Kavya Menon (UTSA) vs. Annemieke Witte (NMSU) 6-7 (4-7), 2-3, unfinished
5. Miranda Poile (UTSA) vs. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) 1-6, 6-2, 1-0, unfinished
6. Irene Gandara Gonzalez (UTSA) def. Mia Brandt (NMSU) 6-0, 6-2