UTSA falls at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, 6-1
CORPUS CHRISTI — Texas A&M-Corpus Christi handed UTSA a 6-1 setback in non-conference action on Friday at Thomas J. Henry Tennis Center.
The Islanders (8-0) remained perfect on the year after winning the doubles point and taking five of six singles contests.
Jacobea Junger picked up the lone point for the Roadrunners (4-3) after battling through a three-set match (3-6, 6-2, 1-0 [12-10]) with Doris Kuselj at the top singles spot.
UTSA lost four of the five other singles tilts in straight sets.
The Roadrunners will return to San Antonio for a Thursday, Feb. 28, matchup against No. 35 Rice.
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 6, UTSA 1
1. Kuselj/Nicolae (AMCC) vs. Jonsson/Shichkova (UTSA) 7-6, unfinished
2. Burges/Horan (AMCC) def. Garcia-Diaz/Junger (UTSA) 8-6
3. Martin/Matuszak (AMCC) def. Hand/Menon (UTSA) 8-4
1. Jacobea Junger (UTSA) def. Doris Kuselj (AMCC) 3-6, 6-2, 1-0 (12-10)
2. Sandra Burges (AMCC) def. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) 6-4, 6-2
3. Maider Martin (AMCC) def. Alena Shichkova (UTSA) 6-4, 6-0
4. Stefania Nicolae (AMCC) def. Kavya Menon (UTSA) 6-2, 6-1
5. Celia Rodriguez (AMCC) def. Miranda Poile (UTSA) 6-2, 6-0
6. Leanne Mascall (AMCC) def. Irene Gandara Gonzalez (UTSA) 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (10-8)