Courtesy: UTSA Athletics
SAN ANTONIO — UTSA capped off a perfect opening weekend with a 5-2 victory at Texas-Pan American on Sunday afternoon.
The Roadrunners (2-0) won two of the three doubles contests and four of the six singles tilts to remain unbeaten this spring.
Junior Isabelle Jonsson blanked Manon Lavrijssen in straight sets at the No. 2 singles spot, while freshman Jacobea Junger and sophomore Irene Gandara Gonzalez each netted straight-sets victories at Nos. 1 and 6, respectively. Freshman Miranda Poile also tallied a singles win with a 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-7) decision against Lucie Chrastecka at the fifth position.
UTSA picked up the opening doubles point after Jonsson and freshman Alena Shichkova posted an 8-1 triumph at the top spot and Junger and sophomore Daniela Garcia-Diaz recorded an 8-6 victory at the second position.
The Roadrunners will return to action on Friday, Feb. 8, against Houston (3-1). First serve is slated for 2 p.m. at the UTSA Tennis Center.
UTSA 5, Texas-Pan American 2
1. Jonsson/Shichkova (UTSA) def. Nazarova/Lavrijssen (UTPA) 8-1
2. Junger/Garcia-Diaz (UTSA) def. Beguelin/Burobina (UTPA) 8-6
3. Menon/Maciolek (UTSA) vs. Chrastecka/Greenwood (UTPA) 4-7, unfinished
1. Jacobea Junger (UTSA) def. Dana Nazarova (UTPA) 6-1, 6-1
2. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) def. Manon Lavrijssen (UTPA) 6-0, 6-0
3. Wanda Beguelin (UTPA) def. Alena Shichkova (UTSA) 6-2, 6-2
4. Anastasia Burobina (UTPA) def. Kavya Menon (UTSA) 6-4, 6-2
5. Miranda Poile (UTSA) def. Lucie Chrastecka (UTPA) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-7)
6. Irene Gandara Gonzalez (UTSA) def. Reegan Greenwood (UTPA) 6-3, 6-4