FORT WORTH — No. 67 TCU raced past UTSA, 7-0, in the Roadrunners' season opener on Saturday afternoon at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center.
UTSA held a one-set lead in two singles matches, but the Horned Frogs (3-1) answered by winning both tilts.
Senior Martin Ayala grabbed the opening set against Nick Chappell at the top singles spot, 6-1, but Chappell rallied to win the final two panels by identical 6-4 scores.
Meanwhile, sophomore Joel Rubio also held a lead after the first set at the fourth position before falling to JT Sundling, 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-3).
TCU started the contest by winning both second and third doubles to claim the opening point.
Ayala and freshman Diogo Casa picked up the only doubles win for the Birds at the top spot. The duo raced out to a 5-0 advantage, but it was forced to hold off a late rally from Sundling and Max Stevens for an 8-5 decision.
The Roadrunners will return to action on Saturday, Feb. 2, at Texas-Pan American (0-1). First serve is slated for 1 p.m.
#67 TCU 7, UTSA 0
1. Ayala/Casa (UTSA) def. Stevens/Sundling (TCU) 8-5
2. Chappell/Stein (TCU) def. Kelleher/Rubio (TCU) 8-1
3. Dachs/Superlano (TCU) def. Brown/Kilgo (UTSA) 8-3
1. Nick Chappell (TCU) def. Martin Ayala (UTSA) 1-6, 6-4, 6-4
2. #100 Arnau Dachs (TCU) def. Diogo Casa (UTSA) 6-3, 6-4
3. Facundo Lugones (TCU) def. Tyler Brown (UTSA) 6-1, 6-1
4. JT Sundling (TCU) def. Joel Rubio (UTSA) 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-3)
5. Orlando Superlano (TCU) def. David Kelleher (UTSA) 6-3, 6-3
6. Rodolfo Bustamante (TCU) def. Eric Buchalter (UTSA) 6-4, 6-2